The Top Reasons FileMaker Users Should Switch to Alpha Five
1. Alpha is AJAX-Powered - your web applications can be secure, complete and as fast as desktop applications
Alpha allows you to easily build web 2.0/ AJAX-enabled web apps that perform with speed of desktop apps.
The move towards the web for database applications is accelerating for a lot of good reasons such as
- No requirement to install software on the client computer
- The ability to run the application from any browser on any hardware
- The ability to be mobile
- The ability for everyone to working with live current data with no need to synchronize
Filemaker’s Web capabilities are limited – with Alpha Five you can build complete web solutions rapidly and easily and now with AJAX support –
your web applications can perform as fast as desktop application
Previously, building AJAX apps has been a complex process for developers, with a steep learning curve.
Now, with Alpha Five Platinum, the learning curve is gone, and the process has been simplified to a drag+drop operation.
AJAX applications are built in a fraction of the time other tools require.
Learn more about how you can build your own robust web applications using
AJAX techniques with Alpha.
2. Active-Link Tables – Alpha Five allows you to build complete web and desktop database applications with reporting against
MS SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, Enterprise DB, DB2, Postgres and other SQL databases
Active Link Tables
allow you to work with data in remote SQL databases and turn several SQL databases into one. With Alpha Five you can
now build complete desktop and web applications using SQL databases as the backend database. Just a few clicks links
multiple SQL databases—including those with stored procedures—into virtual tables, complete with insert, delete,
and update support. Developers can build Forms, Browses, Reports, Labels, Letters, and more against distributed SQL
data, as if they were native tables.
Watch a Video
see how you can create active-link tables for all of the tables in a remote database in a single step.
According to Filemaker’s technical documents, they offer limited SQL support and do NOT recommend building complete applications against SQL databases
3. Robust, Interactive Reporting
Alpha Five has
Interactive Reporting that allows for drilling down or drilling through data to provide business intelligence.
Watch a Video for a demonstration of the new of
drill through reporting features of Alpha Five.
Filemaker does not offer the same level of rich and interactive reporting
4. Form Supercontrols
Alpha Five now offers 11 new very powerful controls that you can add to your forms
along with the standard form objects, like fields, text, boxes and buttons.
Supercontrols allow developers embed hyperlinks, Web content, clocks, calendars, PDFs, live reports, and more in their database forms,
with point and click ease.
Learn more about
Supercontrols (you won't find
Supercontrols in Filemaker).
5. Action Scripting
Alpha has more powerful scripting and full blown
programming language if you want it. FileMaker is all scripting, no programming.
Alpha Five offers
Action Scripting which
goes much further than what is offered in FileMaker, and an extremely powerful programming language
Learn more about Action Scripting,
Xbasic, and Xdialog
6. Powerful web apps
Alpha Five enables you to build
powerful web apps
, something that is not possible with FileMaker.
Examples of Web apps that can built with Alpha Five rapidly include:
- Video: Ecommerce
application built easily 5 to 10 faster than with tools
like PHP, JSP, .Net and Ruby
- Demo Web Site: For Ecommerce Product
- Demo: Shaw Millworks Production and Drawing Management
- Demo: MDOffice Track Demo
Some more examples of fast web 2.0 apps that were
recently built using
Alpha Five v9 include:
- Publishing company tracks the work flow of ad sales and approvals for both internal users and customers
- Insurance company gives 24/7 access to policy information and claim submission
- Database driven catalog publishing system with ecommerce built in
- Sales forecasting system with CRM for a Fortune 100 company with sales people spread out in 40 countries
- Marketing event tracking and reporting system for a medical device company
- Health Care accounting system with reporting
- Defect logging and reporting system in a manufacturing environment
- Project tracking system between HQ and stores in the retail industry
Alpha Five's Unique approach to application development is achieved through
a comprehensive set of visual point and click re-usable components that
makes short work of web application development
(which includes reporting in web applications).
Learn more about
building web applications
and web components.
7. Rapid Application Development
See examples of comprehensive
hybrid (web and desktop) applications built rapidly and
easily with Alpha Five.
You will find Alpha Five applications in companies and
organizations of all sizes. View some of our
Alpha Five performs MUCH more rapidly against SQL Data.
Alpha Five has a lower relative cost including runtimes for economical deployment of desktop apps and an application server
for deployment of web applications with an unlimited number of users on a web server. With Alpha Five, multiple application servers can be "chained
together" to provide huge scalability for applications.
11. More control over the look and aesthetics of your
Alpha Five provides more control over the look and aesthetics of your application. View examples:
12. Integration with QuickBooks
Alpha Five has the ability to integrate with QuickBooks data
and build applications and reports with Quickbooks data.
13. Full security framework for both desktop and web apps
Alpha Five offers a full security framework for building both
desktop and web applications. This security framework alone will
save a huge amount of time when building web applications where you want to control which users and can see and/or modify/edit information.